METHOD 1 – Prime Factoring
Reduce 36/60 to lowest terms .
• Factor the numerator and denominator into prime factors.
• Cancel common factors in numerator and denominator, and
multiply the remaining factors.
METHOD 2 – Divisibility
Reduce 36/60 to lowest terms.
• Using the divisibility hints on sheet 2, check for the
even divisibility of prime numbers into both
the numerator and denominator. Since 2 divides into both 36 & 60 evenly:
• Continue using the divisibility rules . Since 2 divides
into both 18 & 30 evenly:
• Finally, since 3 divides into both 9 & 15 evenly:
There are no remaining common prime factors, so the final
answer is .
HINTS FOR DIVISIBILITY OF SOME COMMON PRIME FACTORS
Now, try the practice problems below.
PRACTICE PROBLEMS: Reduce the following fractions
to lowest terms.
Copyright © 2009, algebra-online.com. All rights reserved.